Home The Route Kingshouse to Kinlochleven
Kingshouse to Kinlochleven
- Distance / Time: 9 miles (14.4km) / 4 to 5 hours
- Total Ascent: 423m
- Total Descent: 659m
- Max Height: 547m
- Terrain: The surfaces are mainly good but you are very highly exposed. At its highest point you are at 550m before a long descent down to Kinlochleven, although short it's still a hard stage in bad weather.
- Accommodation: Kinlochleven
- Refreshments: Kinlochleven
- Places of Interest: The Devil's Staircase. At 550m (1850ft) this is the highest point along the way. The Ice Factor (National Ice Climbing Centre) Kinlochleven
- Crossing the river behind the hotel walk up the road until you reach the fence, you then turn left and keep straight for half a mile. Before you reach the A82, turn to your right over a stile and follow the track uphill.
- The way runs by Altnafeadh where the way starts a stiff climb out of Glen Coe up a track known as The Devil's Staircase, good surface underneath and starts to zig-zag increasing in size. The summit is marked by a cairn (pile of stones). Once passed the shoulder of the hill, look to your right for views of Blackwater Reservoir.
- The descent down to Kinlochleven seems protracted, look ahead of you and you may pick out the way running west below the Mamores.
- The way follows the pipes towards the back of an old Alcan works, crosses them, turns right up the road over the River Leven, turns left and follows the military road alongside a housing scheme.
- At Morrison Crescent the way turns left down a riverside path and soon meets the B863. There you turn left (back across the river) reaching the centre of Kinlochleven, or keep right to continue along the way.