Home The Route Tyndrum to Bridge of Orchy
Tyndrum to Bridge of Orchy
- Distance / Time: 7 miles (11.2 km) / 3 to 4 hours
- Total Ascent: 183m
- Total Descent: 254m
- Max Height: 334m
- Terrain: Good paths and tracks with some moderate ascent and descent, but nothing unduly difficult and nowhere far from services. A straightforward day of glen and low pass walking amid outstanding mountain scenery.
- Accommodation: Bridge of Orchy
- Refreshments: Bridge of Orchy
- Places of Interest:
- From Tyndrum, pick up the road north through Clifton and cross the A82 (take care) onto an old military road.
- After crossing bridges over burn and railway, follow the line of the military road then a path up and round the hillside. Shortly, you drop down again passing under the railway, by means of a sheep creep constructed when the line was built to enable livestock to pass from one side to the other, to resume the route northward on the line of the old road.
- The Way follows an old military road down to the river across the stone bridge and left over the stile. Looking up the glens to your right, you will see two viaducts, fine examples of the railway engineers' skills, contructed to carry the West Highline Line north towards Fort William.
- Continue along the military road until you reach the station buildings of Bridge of Orchy.